So, I realize I am a lame blogger since I never post anything new. It has been so busy and harder to have something ready for a computer than I thought. Yesterday, we said farewell to the family we have been staying with the last few months and clumsily boarded a few buses and 5 hours later, we were here in Madurai and exploring the huge temple complex they have here. I just came from there and wish I had a degree in Ancient South Indian Temples and their Symbols. We went at just the right time, people all over the place, the air was cool, but the stones under our feet were still warm from the sun before. At one point, Jay and I walked down a few hallways that seemed pretty deserted, and the carvings seemed really, really old - I can only compare with carvings I saw in Italy, but the climate probably also made a difference with these. Anyway, it was nice and peaceful - at least in those hallways...then, a half-level up from one of the hallways, there was a meditation hall, not 5 minutes did we sit there, when a very large processional of people, including a decked out cow and a decked out elephant and a decked out god being carried on the shoulders of several men came down the hallway. There were drummers and singers and horn players and "drone" players (small bagpipe/organ thing) and people carrying torches. All that with the tall carved dark stone pillars really made me feel like I was living an Indiana Jones story or something. Who knew places like this really still do exist? Anyway, i am going to keep my blogs short so I write more often.
My brother Jeffrey left Tuesday afternoon (for me)/morning (Utah time) for the good land of Brazil - I had a long call - I think the longest the shopkeepers had seen and it was really nice to talk with him for a bit. He will be good - he'll have an awesome experience. Well I have got to leave. All my love :)
2 comments:
I love the "decked out elephant" part. I would LOVE to see an elephant roaming around outside of a zoo.
The cow's I've seen, but I don't tire of it.
It's good to see you blogging!
From all reports (ok, just one report) it sounds like you did a lot of good work during that first part of your trip, now I hope you get to have a good time exploring.
Post a Comment